Is it normal for a 9 yr old to say he is going to commit suicide over not playing video games? Should he be taken serious?

Dr. Alfredo Garcia
In brief: Suicidal ideation
Children express statements that they may not mean in instances when they are prevented from desired actions or deprived of likes.
You have the right to limit the time consumed for screen time (playing video games, watching tv, surfing the internet) to no more than 2 hours a day. You still have to take him seriously and provide psychological evaluation to determine his main intent - threat or not.

In brief: Suicidal ideation
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
In brief: No, Not normal
Any threat to commit suicide by anyone should be taken seriously.
Suicide is real and should not be overlooked by anyone. Have this 9yr old evaluated as soon as possible to further explore this threat. He may have other underlying issues that need to be addressed.

In brief: No, Not normal
Dr. Bernadette Onuoha
Dr. Bernadette Onuoha
In brief: See below
No it is not normal.
Any talk of suicide should be taken seriously. Although I am not certain your child actually understands what that means. Make sure your child is safe, no weapons around, and call your doctor.

In brief: See below
No it is not normal.
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Bassam Amawi
In brief: Threatining Suicide?
Even if he really does not mean it u need to take it seriously , and have him evaluated and make sure he receive therapy.

In brief: Threatining Suicide?
Dr. Bassam Amawi
Dr. Bassam Amawi
Dr. Richard Levenson
Clinical Psychology
In brief: Suicidal Ideation
No, it is not normal and he needs to be evaluated for depression and the degree to which he feels suicidal.

In brief: Suicidal Ideation
Dr. Richard Levenson
Dr. Richard Levenson
Dr. Hanford Brace
He should be taken seriously and should be seen by a child psychiatrist.
I think video games need tight control and you as parents need hard love when he threatens you. They learn this from friends and television! after the boy is seen and diagnosed, make sure he knows who makes decisions. Parents, not children! make sure he knows this! never let him forget!

Dr. Hanford Brace
Dr. Hanford Brace
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Suicide threats
I recommend taking him seriously & have him see a counselor.

In brief: Suicide threats
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Cindy Juster