Im usually nervous when getting my BP checked at dr office and get a ridiculous high reading but get a good one at home. What can I do about it?

Dr. Alvin Lin
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Calibrate your cuff!
I ask my patients to record their blood pressure readings at home and then bring in both their readings & their BP machine.
Then i check their BP using their cuff and our office machine w/o changing position in between. That tells me whether your cuff reads high or low compared to ours and allows me to better interpret your readings at home. And be sure to use right size cuff for your arm.

In brief: Calibrate your cuff!
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. K. Olson
In brief: Use home measures
White coat syndrome - anxiety at medical appointments that confounds the interview or exam - is not that uncommon.
Your resting blood pressure, the one you sustain day to day, is the one to emphasize - not the one at the doctor's office. Record your blood pressure at home daily for 1-2 weeks - and turn it in to your md. Reliable decisions can then be made about the need for treatment.

In brief: Use home measures
Dr. K. Olson
Dr. K. Olson
Dr. Umesh Patel