How do physicians find out whether I have peripheral artery disease of the calf?

Ultrasound. A general idea of vascular disease can be assessed on a physical exam (pulse exam, capillary refill, temperature, color of skin, non-healing wounds) and history (pain at rest, claudication). However an arterial duplex scan (ultrasound) is the most objective way to evaluate someone for peripheral vascular disease.
History. The first step is the history and then is the physical exam. Based upon this most physicians can figure it out but if necessary there are noninvasive tests that can help out as well. Start with your family physician and the see a vascular surgeon if needed.