How will I know if I have an amniotic fluid leak?

Dr. Stephen Scarantino
In brief: It can be difficult
Being able to tell if you "broke your water" can, at times, be difficult to ascertain.
Any question that you may have an amniotic leak should immediately be brought to your ob's attention. Nevertheless, some signs may be a constant trickle of fluid or wetness.

In brief: It can be difficult
Dr. Stephen Scarantino
Dr. Stephen Scarantino
Dr. Jessica Scotchie
In brief: Fluid leakage
If you have liquid discharge, you should notify your physician.
Most women's water doesn't break until labor starts, however, sometimes the amniotic bag ruptures prior to labor, and can even occur preterm. Symptoms can include sudden burst of fluid from the vagina, or a chronic watery discharge. Either symptom is concerning and should be reported immediately to your physician.

In brief: Fluid leakage
Dr. Jessica Scotchie
Dr. Jessica Scotchie