Do you get regional or general anesthesia for a carotid endarterectomy?

Depends. It is possible to have either general or regional anesthesia for a carotid endarterectomy. Over 95% are done with general anesthesia. A few surgeons prefer to use regional anesthesia especially in patients who have active hearts disease (angina).
Depends. Most nowadays seem to be done under general, though I have no numbers on that. Ga allows for protected airway. Regional technique requires superficial or deep cervical plexus block by anesthesiologist and additional local anesthetic by surgeon. Idea is that can see symptoms of low blood flow to brain in awake patient, though easier said than done. Usually will be told which technique preferred.
Surgeon preference. I have done the anesthesia for this procedure both ways. A few surgeons prefer a regional or cervical block, however, most prefer an general anesthetic. Discuss the procedure with your surgeon and anesthesiologist.