Can you tell me the recovery time for a below the knee amputation?

Dr. Alan Koslow
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Depends age & fitnes
There are so many variables.
The weight, physical strength, psychological factors, age. I have had patients walking normally in six weeks and others 6 months and others never.

In brief: Depends age & fitnes
There are so many variables.
Dr. Alan Koslow
Dr. Alan Koslow
Dr. William Purtill
Surgery - Vascular
If it heals normally the sutures or staples are removed in 3/4 weeks.
A shrinker to reduce swelling is then used and measurements for the prosthesis are taken. A temporary (for 1 year) prosthesis is fitted at 6 weeks approximately - then the patient walks on 2 legs again. A final prosthesis is fitted at 1 year approx. When all the swelling is gone and the leg has reached a stable shape.

Dr. William Purtill
Dr. William Purtill
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry
In brief: Recovery time varies
Recover time will vary depending on many factors including age, general health of the patient, infection control, smoker or not, blood sugar control, the exact type of procedure, and post-operative and follow up care.
Discuss it with your surgeon and get their opinion as to what they feel is a reasonable recovery time for you.

In brief: Recovery time varies
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Trent Proffitt
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Depends
3-5 days in hospital for pain control.
Then rehab for 3-6 weeks to develope upper extremity strength and stability with crutches, etc.

In brief: Depends
3-5 days in hospital for pain control.
Dr. Trent Proffitt
Dr. Trent Proffitt
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery