Is mirena (levonorgestrel) IUD a birth control?

Yes. The Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud is one of the safest and most effective birth control options available. It is over 99% effective. Once inserted it can stay in the uterus up to 5 years. It has few side effects. Up to 50% will have no periods within 2 years which people really like.
Yes. Yes. This device prevent egg implantation in the uterus and thus prevents pregnancy.
Yes. The Mirena (levonorgestrel) IUD is one of the BEST forms of birth control available, it lasts 5 years, is ~99.5% effective, and thins the uterine lining so that you get lighter periods. 20% of women will stop having periods after 1 year and that's perfectly healthy. Effects in the uterus and so it won't affect or be affected by other medicadtion; very safe method; biggest risk after insertion is expulsion (1-2%).