Can your sternothyroid muscle become swollen from muscle spasms?

Dr. John Cheng

The sternocleidomastoid muscle can oftentimes get swollen from muscle spasms.
However, please have someone evaluate this because recently i diagnosed a patient with a fluid cyst underneath that needed drainage.

Dr. Stephen Rodrigues

In brief: Yes, but

There are some many muscles in the neck what makes you want to focus on that one? Make sure lymph nodes are not an underlying cause.
Spasms of muscles will cause them to ball-up and get very tight and painful. Was there an accident or whiplash? Is your voice ok? Heat stretching and massage are the best for muscle spasms. See your doc and see a massage specialist. I use acupuncture the best of all!

In brief: Yes, but

Dr. Eric Weisman