70 years male, stomach cancer metastasized to liver&bone, on (xeloda+eloxatin+zometa), can or should he take antioxidants during chemo?

Dr. Michael Thompson
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: No

There is no benefit I am aware of with antioxidants helping chemotherapy.
There are theoretical reasons why antioxidants can impair chemotherapies ability to kill cancer cells. I would not take additional unproven supplements without a md approval or without being on a clinical trial to study it. Anti-oxidants have harmed people in randomized studies. The won't harm, might help mantra is out.

In brief: No

Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Probably not.

The general principle is chemotherapy is trying to inflict damage on cells.
Ask your oncologist...Therefore probably best to avoid supplements.

In brief: Probably not.

Dr. Bac Nguyen

In brief: May help, not hurt

Generally antioxidant supplements when used in recommended dosage along with healthy diet/exercises should not do you harm. In your case of multiple chemo agents being used for cancer, antioxidants may help reduce some oxidative stresses that your body is undergoing at this time.
However, i would recommend that you let your physicians know about what you taking so they can monitor. Good luck.

In brief: May help, not hurt

Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery