Can a carotid stent cause me to have a headache due to more blood flow?

Dr. Laura Pak
Surgery - Vascular

It is not unusual to have headaches on the side of the stent soon after carotid stenting, especially if the carotid stenosis was high grade.
These headaches usually resolve within days. Severe headache accompanied by hypertension in this setting can be worrisome and should be discussed with your doctor, as it can be a sign of reperfusion syndrome.

Dr. Laura Pak
Dr. Laura Pak
Dr. Alan Koslow
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Yes.

If that is the cause use propanalol for short term. Usually it lasts less then a week.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Alan Koslow
Dr. Alan Koslow
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional

Some of my patients report this. Goes away in day or so.

Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Eric Weisman