Am I too young to get carotid bruits? I am 18 years old.

Dr. Alan Koslow
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: Bruit yes, block no
50% of bruits have no stenosis.
However you need to be sure you don't have a congenital or aquired condition that could cause it.

In brief: Bruit yes, block no
50% of bruits have no stenosis.
Dr. Alan Koslow
Dr. Alan Koslow
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: No, but
An ultrasound of the carotids would be helpful for you to identify the cause of the bruits.
A bruit means that there is turbulence in the artery.

In brief: No, but
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Dr. Khashayar Salartash
Dr. Patrick Wyffels
Critical Care
In brief: No, but unusual
A carotid bruit is a sound heard when a stethoscope is placed over the artery in the neck.
It is caused primarily by blood flow turbulence - like water in a brook running over rocks. Turbulent flow can be caused by atherosclerosis, aneurym, injury, and congenital abnormalities. It can also be heard by abnormalites in the proximal arteries and heart valves. It should always be evaluated.

In brief: No, but unusual
Dr. Patrick Wyffels
Dr. Patrick Wyffels