Why was my recent asthma attack at work not enough for my boss to give me sick leave, shouldn't it be?

Dr. Sue Ferranti
In brief: Depends...
Asthma is a controllable condition so, with treatment, you should be able to live a normal life, including working.
If you think you need time out of work to recover, see your doctor so this can be assessed and an out of work note provided, if necessary. Your doctor can also get you back to work as quickly as possible by providing the proper therapy. Good luck!

In brief: Depends...
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. William Walsh
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Yes, but ...
Your boss probably has either been burned by people overusing the excuse or is ignorant or how serious a problem asthma is.

In brief: Yes, but ...
Dr. William Walsh
Dr. William Walsh
Dr. Yash Khanna
It is quite possible your asthma attack responded to your inhaled bronchodilater,and you were not in any distress.I have an employee who gets asthma attack and quickly responds to one or two doses of inhaler and keeps working and goes home when her work is done.So it may be so in your employers defence.But if your asthma attack was severe and did not respond and you had to go to ER then it is bad
In brief: Depends...
If your asthma is not properly controlled, you need an adjustment to your meds, and that is done best without changing your daily routine.
On the other hand, if your job contains a severe asthma trigger to which you are highly sensitive, either it needs to be removed, or you need another job.

In brief: Depends...
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine