My 13 yr old son has been complaining of his right nipple being hard all week and hurts. Should i bring him to his primary doctor? Normal growth spurt

answered:

Sore usually good

Chest-breast-nipples
Tender nipples during puberty, whether it be a girl or boy, is very normal. Both sexes have some breast tissue, and changing hormone levels in either sex can cause some tenderness. Additionally, minor gentle trauma to the area can make it worse - even something like he bumped his chest. The more you poke at it and feel it, the more it will be sore -leave it alone and enjoy puberty!
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Breast Chest Hormone Injuries Injuries and wounds Nipple Puberty Sex Sore Tissue

Male breast tissue

Breast buds affect ~1/2 males in early puberty and may affect one or both sides concurrently. The process reflects an awakening of the body to hormonal changes. It generally persists for a year or less & disappears gradually. Rare cases can become prominent. Discuss it at any regular Dr visit, but I wouldn't go in for this alone unless your kid is going bonkers over the issue & needs reassurance.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Body Breast Breast buds Children Lumps under baby's nipples Nipple Premature Puberty Pain Child health

Related Top Doctors

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral
Dr. Holly Maes