Dental phobia since botched intubation: how effective are drugs, sedatives?

Works very well. A trained doctor in sedation will make your experience smooth and easy. Sorry to hear about the incident.
Very effective. Anti anxiety drugs and sedatives such as ativan, valium, and xanax (alprazolam) are very good at relieving extream dental anxiety.
Very. Ask your dentist for a prescription for an anxiolytic to take before surgery. If the phobia is profound, find a dentist who works in a hospital or and let an anesthesiologist take care of you.
Very effective. but rather than suffer in fear in the future consider Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Behavior Therapy, Psychotherapy, Exposure therapy (imaginal exposure therapy, systematic desensitization, flooding, prolonged exposure therapy, in vivo exposure therapy) or hypnosis as possible options. Psychotropic medications are sometimes indicated as well.