When would an occupational injury not considered a worksman compensation injury?

Decision by insurer. The treating doctor will give his medical opinion on whether he determines the injury to be connected to the workplace. Then the insurer will make a determination on whether the injury will be covered by the work comp policy. If there are disagreements it is taken to the court system.
Failure to Report. Occupational injury by definition would also be a work comp injury. The only time this would be a problem is if the patient failed to report it in a timely fashion and can not prove that the injury was acquired on the job. This is why all injuries should be reported immediately in order to take advantage of your rights.