What responsibility does an employer have towards helping a pregnant woman?

Dr. Jon Ahrendsen

In brief: Like another person

He can't discriminate against her because of her pregnancy (gender discrimination) and depending on the size of the company is bound by the family medical leave act to accommodate absences due to doctors appointments and recovery after delivery.
Also there may be certain tasks that are pose more risks for the pregnant woman, and they should provide an accommodation for her.

In brief: Like another person

Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
2 comments
Dr. Danielle Salhany
Also remember that most employers in most states are required to provide a clean, private place for pumping (NOT a public bathroom!)
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
I agree that the employer SHOULD provide this place for pumping, but I actually think it is a minority of states that actually have this as a law. It should be a law, but there is much variation from state to state.

In brief: Varies with site

Both state & federal issues which can apply depending on the site of employment.
In a small office or company with less than 50 employees, many such mandates may not apply. No small employer is required to offer employ you if you cannot perform the type of work that is part of your job. They are also not required to offer maternity leave or job protection. The specifics should be in the contract

In brief: Varies with site

Dr. Audrey Lance
Gynecology

In brief: Depends

It depends a lot on the state you live in.
This is more of a legal question rather than a medical question, and the answer will vary a lot state by state. For example, in the state I practice in, there is currently no law requiring employers to make accommodations at work for pregnant women. Your OB may know the answer.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Audrey Lance
Dr. Audrey Lance
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine