What responsibility does an employer have towards helping a pregnant woman?

Dr. Jon Ahrendsen

In brief: Like another person

He can't discriminate against her because of her pregnancy (gender discrimination) and depending on the size of the company is bound by the family medical leave act to accommodate absences due to doctors appointments and recovery after delivery.
Also there may be certain tasks that are pose more risks for the pregnant woman, and they should provide an accommodation for her.

In brief: Like another person

Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
2 comments
Dr. Danielle Salhany
Also remember that most employers in most states are required to provide a clean, private place for pumping (NOT a public bathroom!)
Dr. Jon Ahrendsen
I agree that the employer SHOULD provide this place for pumping, but I actually think it is a minority of states that actually have this as a law. It should be a law, but there is much variation from state to state.
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine