What orthodontic appliances use headgear?

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Adjunct

A headgear is an adjunct to orthodontic treatment used to modify skeletal growth and/or to affect tooth position.
Headgear can be used in addition to any fixed appliance (braces) system. Don't get hung up on gadgets. Focus on finding the best qualified orthodontic specialist in your area to treat your family. Let him pick the best appliance for the individual's needs.

In brief: Adjunct

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Robert Stoner
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Most

A better question is which orthodontists use headgears.
Headgears are used to supply anchorage and control growth as well as move teeth. They are proven and sound. Attempts to obviate headgears usually result in a compromised result with facial esthetics.

In brief: Most

Dr. Robert Stoner
Dr. Robert Stoner
4 comments
Dr. David Schleimer
Robert, not so. In the right hands, certain appliances can distalize maxillary posterior segments and with further retraction, can remodel A point. I have used over a thousand Pendulum appliances over the last 2 decades and have had marvelous results. No, or little strain on mandibular anchorage, and timely, controllable as well as significant distal tooth movement. I am a big fan of this therapy and would love to talk with you about my experiences with it. I understand the principles and mechanics of headgear use, however I feel I have found a better solution to a nagging problem, compliance. I do understand why and when you use headgears, I take not pot shots at you for using them. With warm regards, David
Dr. Robert Stoner
If only resolving the Class II relationship is your objective, perhaps tipping teeth back with a pendulum is sufficient. I have discussed this extensively with Jim McNamara and he is no longer using them. There is not enough room here for this discussion. Check out my latest article published in the Spring 2013 edition of the Tweed Profile.
Dr. Joseph Ritz
Dentistry

In brief: Various ones do

Various orthodontic appliances use the application of force through with headgear to manage the growth of the facial skeleton during tooth movement.
The design of the appliance and the type of headgear varies and will be discussed in detail by your dentist.

In brief: Various ones do

Dr. Joseph Ritz
Dr. Joseph Ritz
Dr. Stuart Hoffman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: It is an appliance

"headgear" is an extra-oral orthodontic appliance that attaches to tubes on the 1st molar bands.
Headgear/neckgear are auxilliary orthopedic appliances normally used in conjunction with fixed orthodontic appliances (braces).

In brief: It is an appliance

Dr. Stuart Hoffman
Dr. Stuart Hoffman
Dr. Louis Sterling
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: ?

A headgear is an orthodontic appliance that is used to correct a class 2 malocclusion.

In brief: ?

Dr. Louis Sterling
Dr. Louis Sterling
Dr. Kenneth Zipkin
Dentistry

In brief: None

The dr prescribes headgear if treatment calls for it.

In brief: None

Dr. Kenneth Zipkin
Dr. Kenneth Zipkin
Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Various

Headgear takes on many forms, but they all have in common the application of orthopedic (heavy) force.
The most common uses the neck as the anchor; i find that it extrudes the molars as well as moving rearwards. This causes the TMJ to come out of its' socket... Besides being inefficient (heavy intermittent force) they are just not worn as directed in most cases. Other means of maxillary restraint!

In brief: Various

Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
2 comments
Dr. David Schleimer
I have not had to use any form of headgear since 1992, without sacrificing treatment goals.
Dr. Robert Stoner
Sorry David. There is no published scientific evidence of TMJ issues from headgear. The high pull j-hook headgear to the anterior teeth is the best way to control the vertical dimension allowing a clockwise mandibular and occlusal plane rotation. There is plenty of published evidence. Would love to have a private conversation on this one. Not enough space here.

In brief: To reduce over jet

There are several reasons orthodontists might use headgear. It is usually to correct overjet or what used to be called "buck teeth".
When an external force is placed on the upper jaw using a headgear the growth of the maxilla can be modified and the upper molars moved back into proper alignment.

In brief: To reduce over jet

Dr. Donald Rollofson
Dr. Donald Rollofson