My asthma is extremely sensitive to even mild cold. What should I look for in a good outdoor mask?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Nose & scarf

That's great question! a scarf works best because it takes on warmth from your exhaled breath & transfers it to the incoming air. Breathe through your nose not your mouth.
The nose is designed to warm & moisten air; the mouth can't. Ipratropium (atrovent) is often used to help control cold weather-triggered asthma. Make sure your asthma is under control before venturing out into the cold.

In brief: Nose & scarf

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Martin Ostro

In brief: Increase asthma meds

Agree with using scarf.
Suggest using ipratroprium-albuterol combo before going out, e.g. Combivent. Questioner is from palo alto where, compared to boston, the weather is quite mild. This makes me think if such a minimal amount of cold irritation an exacerbate the asthma, then treatment needs to be maximized, perhaps changing to a combo inhaler like advair 500 or Dulera (formoterol and mometasone) 200 and adding singulair.

In brief: Increase asthma meds

Agree with using scarf.
Dr. Martin Ostro
Dr. Martin Ostro
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology