What does it mean to "induce" labor?

Kickstart. Your ob/gyn may recommend an "induction" of labor for reasons related to your or your baby's health. There are numerous reasons for needing to have this option recommended. You are admitted to the hospital, fetal monitoring, IV started and a dilute solution of Pitocin (oxytocin) is given to start labor contractions slowly. Indications such as post dates, toxemia, iugr, fetal distress, and more `.
Jump start labor. An induction of labor is a way of starting labor artificially. There are a variety of medications which can be used to do this. Sometimes being induced is medically necessary due to certain complications like high blood pressure and diabetes. Some patients choose to get induced for no medical reason-- an elective induction. Elective inductions should not be done before 39 weeks.
Cause labor to start. Medications are administered to the mother orally, intravenously, or vaginally that cause hormone changes in the uterus. These medications enable to the uterus to start contracting causing the cervix to open and labor to start.