My hida scan was unable to be done due to the nuclear medicine staying in my gallbladder and not releasing into my bowel. Does this mean my gallbladde?

Dr. Joseph Accurso
Radiology

In brief: Need more info

If the scan was a hida with cck (sincalide) augmentation, and the gallbladder (gb) filled with radioactive bile and then did not empty when cck was given, the gb ejection fraction should be low, and that indicates gb dysfunction.
If the radioactive substance (hida) did not even make it into the gb, it could be chronic or acute cholecystitis. Either way, please see your healthcare provider.

In brief: Need more info

Dr. Joseph Accurso
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: HIDA scan was done

Your scan was done and abnormal.
If gallbladder was seen, and no contrast seen in bowel (with normal liver) shows blockage of cystic duct or bile duct.

In brief: HIDA scan was done

Your scan was done and abnormal.
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Guido Davidzon
True, though I think the blockage is more likely in the bile duct, distal to the cystic duct, since in appears that the gallbladder was visualized.
Dr. Guido Davidzon
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: Billiary tree

From your question it seems that you had a hida scan that showed radiotracer in the gallbladder but no excretion into the bowel was seen.
No radiotracer seen in the bowel on delayed images is suspicious for some degree of cbd obstruction due to calculi, inflammation, neoplasm or elevated pressure of a dysfunctional sphincter of oddi. Further imaging such as us/ct/mrcp can help characterize this.

In brief: Billiary tree

Dr. Guido Davidzon
Dr. Guido Davidzon
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: Not necessarily

Some nuclear medicine laboratories will not inject cck for gall bladder ejection fraction if no activity seen in bowel.
If the gall bladder and main bile ducts fill at normal time, the likelihood of biliary obstruction is small. Gall baldder or sphincter of oddi spasm or dyskinesia is most likely.Without the ejection fraction value difficult to decide definitely on gb disease.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Brian Wosnitzer
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: HIDA

The question you are asking is not clear. In any case.
... Be sure that you did not eat 4-6 hours before the scan or fast for more than 24 hrs before scan. Also make sure you have not had any opioid medication for 4-6 hours before scan. Was cck administered prior to your scan? These pieces of information are all critical to understanding your situation. How many hours / min. Did they image?

In brief: HIDA

Dr. Brian Wosnitzer
Dr. Brian Wosnitzer
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery