I smashed my thumb pretty badly, how can I save my fingernail?

Dr. Aradhna Saxena
Dermatology

In brief: Wait

Unfortunately, you probably have to wait 3-6 months until the damaged nail grows out to see how the nail is going to grow in ultimately.
If you did not injure the nail matrix, the nail will grow back normally.

In brief: Wait

Dr. Aradhna Saxena
Dr. Aradhna Saxena
Dr. Nadu Tuakli

In brief: Go to the doctor

If there is a significant amount of blood clot under the nail you need to go to the doctor immediately to get a hole put in your nail so that the blood can drain.
If you dont relieve the pressure under the nail then you will run the risk of losing your nail permanently.

In brief: Go to the doctor

Dr. Nadu Tuakli
Dr. Nadu Tuakli
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine