I had open sugary, not laparoscopic, on my inguinal hernia. When can I return to work?

Dr. Erik Borncamp
Wound care

In brief: 4 weeks standard

You should check with your surgeon but in general most surgeons say no heavy lifting, pushing or pulling for the first 4 weeks.
If you do very heavy work (>50 pounds force) you may need 6 weeks or more. Likewise, if you do light deskwork you may be able to return in 2 weeks when your pain is well controlled and you are off of the narcotics. Whatever you do ease back into things slowly.

In brief: 4 weeks standard

Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: 1-4 weeks

I advise my patients stay home for a week before returning to work unless their job requires heavy lifting, in which case it is best to wait 3-4 weeks.
There are often factors related to the operation that can impact this recommendation, therefore, this is best answered by your surgeon.

In brief: 1-4 weeks

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey