My mother had a painful labor and the doctors said it was a ''dry'' labor. Am I at risk of this?

Dr. Kathryn Mercer
In brief: Probably not
Everyone's perception of pain is different, but we have many options to make your experience pretty tolerable.
Talk to your doctor about the options at your hospital. A "dry" labor probably meant that the amniotic fluid levels were to low. This happens when the baby is over due or has kidney problems or placental problems. Your doctor will be looking for these in your visits.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Kathryn Mercer
Dr. Kathryn Mercer
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
In brief: Not necessarily
Your mother's experiences in labor are not a sure sign of how things will be for you.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Neeoo Chin
Fertility Medicine
In brief: No
Dry labor is when the water breaks and labor doesn't start until many many hours later. You can just imagine sliding on a water slide without the water! dry labor is not hereditary.

In brief: No
Dr. Neeoo Chin
Dr. Neeoo Chin
Dr. Vikram Patel