How can I protect myself against secondhand smoke?

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
In brief: You can't
If those around you in a workplace are smoking, you really can't stop breathing.
Some people try facemasks and even respirators, but these remove little, if any, of the smoke. It does however send a message. In many settings, workplaces must be smoke free, but this depends on the size of business and what state you are in. Check the osha website (www.Osha.Gov) for advice, and your state office too.

In brief: You can't
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. M. Jay Petruska
In brief: Second Hand Smoke
The best way to protect yourself from second-hand smoke is to avoid smokers.
Avoid places where people smoke, and stay away from people who smoke. You can also ask smokers not to smoke near you.

In brief: Second Hand Smoke
Dr. M. Jay Petruska
Dr. M. Jay Petruska