5 doctors weighed in:

Could latex balloons cause me to get headaches and get sick?

5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Family Medicine
2 doctors agree

In brief: Possibly

Some people are have allergic reactions to latex, getting allergy symptoms of rash, breathing difficulty, itchiness, headaches, fatigue, etc.
Additionally, some people are sensitive to the powder found on latex products. Reactions to the powder can be similar to the reaction to the latex. Seek the help of your family doctor or allergist for possible testing.

In brief: Possibly

Some people are have allergic reactions to latex, getting allergy symptoms of rash, breathing difficulty, itchiness, headaches, fatigue, etc.
Additionally, some people are sensitive to the powder found on latex products. Reactions to the powder can be similar to the reaction to the latex. Seek the help of your family doctor or allergist for possible testing.
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Thank
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: Possibly

If you are allergic to latex then yes they can cause headaches and other allergic reactions, some which could be life threatening.
If you feel light headed after blowing up several balloons it could just b that you have hyperventalated. If you have a real allergy conceren then get tested by an allergist. It could save your life.

In brief: Possibly

If you are allergic to latex then yes they can cause headaches and other allergic reactions, some which could be life threatening.
If you feel light headed after blowing up several balloons it could just b that you have hyperventalated. If you have a real allergy conceren then get tested by an allergist. It could save your life.
Dr. Howard Schneider
Dr. Howard Schneider
Thank

In brief: Yes

More and more people are latex sensitive.
If you encounter this often, then contact your dermatologist or allergist and get tested. This can become a severe allergy. Make sure to mention at least your suspicion that you may be allergic any time you are in any type of health care facility or setting. Latex is still a common medical product, even though the trend is toward latex alternatives.

In brief: Yes

More and more people are latex sensitive.
If you encounter this often, then contact your dermatologist or allergist and get tested. This can become a severe allergy. Make sure to mention at least your suspicion that you may be allergic any time you are in any type of health care facility or setting. Latex is still a common medical product, even though the trend is toward latex alternatives.
Dr. Scott Greenhalgh
Dr. Scott Greenhalgh
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine
385K people helped
Continue
111,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors