Is it safe to wear a palate expander and braces at the same time?

Yes . Your orthodontist is encouraging growth in your upper jaw while starting to straighten the teeth at the same time. This is common and very safe.
Yes. Palate expansion is by and large skeletal, so upper braces with a wire in contra-indicated. Lower braces are just fine while upper expansion is taking place.
Qualified. In the hands of a qualified orthodontic specialist, yes. As this is fairly sophisticated treatment, i would recommend that you not see anyone other than an orthodontist for care.
Yes. The palate expander sometimes is holding the posterior teeth in the correct position (fixing the crossbite) up to nine months. During this time, braces can be used to uncrowd the anterior teeth using the space achieved from the arch being expanded.