Will having a hysterectomy effect bipolar disorder?

Dr. Jeff Livingston
In brief: No
Having the uterus removed will not affect psychiatric disorders.
The stress of having surgery might be a factor though.

In brief: No
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Donald Hazlett
In brief: It possibly could
A hysterectomy can be traumatic in some cases, especially for women still in their child bearing years or may not have completed their family.
Cancer of the uterus obviously is more than stressful in that situation. The younger the woman the more likely hysterectomy will cause stress. Bipolar disorder symptoms can easily occur under such stress. Honestly any hysterectomy is stressful.

In brief: It possibly could
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Bipolar
Agree with my colleagues but add that another possible influence would be hormones.

In brief: Bipolar
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham