Why would they prescribe vitamin d after a hysterectomy?

Dr. Kevin Fleishman
In brief: Prevent osteoporosis
If the ovaries are removed at the time of a hysterectomy a surgical menopause will occur. The dramatic reduction in estrogen causes women to be increased risk for osteoporosis, or thin bone density, therefore an increased risk of fracture.
Calcium, vitamin d and exercise are recommended to prevent bone loss. I bone density test should be considered after menopause.

In brief: Prevent osteoporosis
Dr. Kevin Fleishman
Dr. Kevin Fleishman
Dr. Tyrone Malloy
In brief: See below
Vitamin d is an immune boosting vitamin so it may help with healing.
Also, if in the hysterectomy they removed the ovaries and the patient went into surgical menopause then vitamin d would help with bone preservation that might be affected by the decrease in estrogen from the hysterectomy.

In brief: See below
Dr. Tyrone Malloy
Dr. Tyrone Malloy
Dr. Adam Levy