Gold dental fillings: are they safe for a child?

Dr. Howard Banner
Dentistry

In brief: Yes, but why?

Gold fillings are the most biocompatable of all the materials we use in the mouth.
However, they are also the most expensive. If they are being done on a baby tooth that is going to fall out, it may not be the most economical thing to do.

In brief: Yes, but why?

Dr. Howard Banner
Dr. Howard Banner

In brief: Yes 4 adult teeth

Gold fillings are considered by most restorative dentist to be the ideal filling material, but the current market price of gold makes it an impractical restorative material for a baby tooth that will be lost as an adult.
It would be ideal for an adult tooth if cost wasn't a factor and the child could handle that a gold filling requires additional steps to fabricate.

In brief: Yes 4 adult teeth

Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Would not recommend

I have done gold restorations for over 30 years.
I would not consider placing one in a child's mouth. They are not conservative in nature, and i would want to conserve as much tooth structure as possible for a child with a long future ahead.

In brief: Would not recommend

Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. Idelle Brand
Dentistry

In brief: Yes and no.

That would not be my first choice.
Holistically speaking, you might do better with a white composite, bpa free.

In brief: Yes and no.

That would not be my first choice.
Dr. Idelle Brand
Dr. Idelle Brand
Dr. Cindy Juster