Intense itching allergic reaction Benadryl (diphenhydramine) isn't helping?

Identify & medicate. With any allergic reaction, it's important to identify the trigger and avoid. Other antihistamines can be tried and these include claritin, clarinex, allegra, zyrtec and xyzal (levocetirizine). Under the direction of a physician, higher doses may be needed. If the reaction is severe, seek care, as oral steroids may be necessary.
Loratidine. You could try a stronger, long acting anti-histimine such as loratidine. Also a topical application of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or a steroid such as Hydrocortisone may help control the itch.