Does anyone know if acupuncture is a good idea for treatment of rsd/crps ? I would really like to come off these meds.

Dr. John Baker
Neurology

In brief: Rsd

I really like mgmt of conditions such as cprs with alternative techniques such as acupuncture as opposed to medications.
The only thing i recommend is...Give it a try. If it works, continue it. If it does not seem to help, stop.

In brief: Rsd

Dr. John Baker
Dr. John Baker
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: You could try

You could try it.
I am not aware of any good studies on acupuncture for rsd/crps but i cannot think of any harm from it although if you have a limb that is swollen, i would not advise putting acupuncture needles in that limb because of potential risk for infection. Check with your doctor first before trying other treatments like acupuncture.

In brief: You could try

You could try it.
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: It is an option

It should be a reasonable and conservative option that might help you a lot.
If not getting much relief you might want to consider a sympathetic ganglion block or even a ketamine infusion therapy. Lastly sometimes spinal cord stimulation can be helpful.

In brief: It is an option

Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Rick Fisher
Anesthesiology

In brief: Give it a chance!

Although no high quality data (large, well designed studies), showing efficacy of acupuncture for crps exist, it doesn't mean it is futile to try it out.
There are multiple case reports (do a search in pubmed) demonstrating efficacy of multiple acupuncture modalities for crps. Nonetheless, meds and sympathetic blocks may be most efficacious in the long run...

In brief: Give it a chance!

Dr. Rick Fisher
Dr. Rick Fisher
Dr. Vikram Patel