My mom has uterine cancer and is having her uterus taken out. What should she expect?

Depends. It depends on how far along her cancer is. If very early in development, simply removing the uterus may be all she needs. If further along, the surgery may become more "radical" and require removal of other organs such as ovaries, tubes, lymph nodes. Depending upon how she has the surgery done, her recovery could last from 4 weeks to an indefinite time.
Uterine cancer. Usually abdominal surgey, depending on final pathology, discussion of further treatment.