Have tried prescription Valtrex (valacyclovir) pills and ointment at the first signs. Still have fever blisters twice a month or more. Any preventative options.?

May need suppression. If you are having outbreaks twice a month despite using Valtrex (valacyclovir) pills and ointment when you first feel an outbreak starting, you probably need to take Valtrex (valacyclovir) or another pill on a daily basis to try and suppress the outbreaks. Patients can take Valtrex (valacyclovir) pills for up to a year every day. After 1 year you can decide with your doctor if you need to continue or if you can stop. Talk to your doctor.