Is it common to check for uterine cancer after a miscarriage?

Yes and no. Uterine cancers are not very common in women of childbearing age. But good doctors will rule out everything including cancer during care for a miscarriage. There is a rare cancer of miscarriage (molar & choriocarcinoma) which your pathologist will rule out in the miscarriage tissue.
Not likely. Many woman have cervical dysplasia during pregnancy. Colposcopy can be performed safely for abnormal pap smears during pregnancy in order to see the severity of the dysplasia. If is is severe a biopsy may be needed . For most patients careful observation during pregnancy is enough. If a miscarriage were to occur it would be likely due to other causes.