If you have hpv, will you get an abnormal pap smear right away?

HPV is tricky. Hpv can show up on your pap smear quickly or years later. The good news: healthy young women may clear hpv. The bad news: some will progress to cancer. Men have no symptoms and you can even get hpv through a condom. If any of his past girl friends have had a bad pap smear or been to the gyn a lot for unknown reasons, do not have sex with him until you are married. He is not worth the risk.
No. Hpv is a known cause of cervical cancer. Pap tests detect these changes on a cellular level. However, it does take time for the virus to infect cells and cause this transformation into cancerous cells. Also, not all cells that are infected with hpv are transformed into cancer. Hpv can also be cleared by your body. So no, your pap may not be abnormal immediately.