I'm having a cryosurgery on my cervix done tomorrow. How does the procedure work?

Dr. Carolyn Thompson

In brief: Freezing

Liquid carbon dioxide or nitrous oxide are used to supercool a metal probe that is placed on the cervix.
The abnormal area of the cervix is frozen, allowed to thaw, and then frozen again. Cramping is not unusual during the procedure.

In brief: Freezing

Dr. Carolyn Thompson
Dr. Carolyn Thompson
Dr. John Geisler
Gynecology - Oncology

In brief: Cryosurgery

When cryosurgery of the cervix is done, it is done as if you were having a regular pap smear.
A device is then used to freeze the cervix for a couple of minutes. It is allowed to warm up for a few minutes then the procedure is repeated.

In brief: Cryosurgery

Dr. John Geisler
Dr. John Geisler
Dr. Adam Levy