I have cervical dysplasia. Should I be worried about cervical cancer?

Ben Ferguson
Surgery

In brief: Possibly.

Cervical dysplasia is considered a precursor to cervical cancer.
However, many cases of cervical dysplasia spontaneously resolve without treatment. Most important is to repeat the pap smears as recommended by your gynecologist or family doctor to ensure that the dysplasia has resolved.

In brief: Possibly.

Ben Ferguson
Ben Ferguson
Answer assisted by Ben Ferguson, Medical Student
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
It depends on the type of cervical dysplasia and your age. If you are past 21 and your dysplasia is at least CIN1 or low grade squamous epithelial lesion (LSIL) you will need to undergo colposcopy, procedure known to look more specifically for the abnormalities found on Pap smear. If you are younger than 21, and your abnormality is mild (CIN1/LSIL), repeat Pap smear may be warranted.
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology

High grade dysplasia can.
Low grade can become high grade but may also go away. Continue pap smears and gynecologist's recommendations.

High grade dysplasia can.
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham