I have been intimate with only one man in my life. Why is my pap smear abnormal?

Dr. Scott Diede
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Very common...

If your partner has ever been with another person, he could be an carrier. Hpv is so common that at least 50% of sexually active men and women get it at some point in their lives.
Most people with hpv do not develop symptoms or health problems from it. In 90% of cases, the body’s immune system clears hpv naturally within two years.

In brief: Very common...

Dr. Scott Diede
Dr. Scott Diede
Marianne DiNapoli

In brief: HPV

The most common cause of an abnormal pap smear is infection with the human papilloma virus, hpv.
This can be acquired during sex, even with just 1 partner. Hpv can lead to changes in the cells of the cervix, which often will disappear with time. Check to see when your doctor would like to see you for a repeat pap smear.

In brief: HPV

Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
Dr. Jesse Mills
Urology

In brief: Man's sexual history

Infection with hpv is most common cause of abnormal pap.
If your partner has had other partners, there's a risk of transmission from him. If both of you have only been intimate with each other, the abnormal pap may not be correct and you would need further evaluation.

In brief: Man's sexual history

Dr. Jesse Mills
Dr. Jesse Mills
Dr. Jane Van Dis