I have an ovarian cyst and my ca-125 is 30; what should I do now?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Ask MD ordering test

If there is a history of ovarian cysts and/or abnormal test, a woman definitely needs to be seek input from a specialist or subspecialist in gynecology.
That is important to receive their interpretation and recommendations for now and the future. At some point she might need to be evaluated further. Rarely cancer can occur and can be suggested by imaging, so it might be ordered in some cases.

In brief: Ask MD ordering test

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Timothy Gorski
It depends on many things such as your age and the appearance of the cyst. Make a plan with your doctor as to how to proceed!
Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Sonogram

If an ovarian cyst is complex on scan or is larger than 5 cm. laparoscopic removal is effective in making a diagnosis and removing a potential problem even if there is no cancer. A Ca 125 has no value in diagnosing ovarian cancer.
It is used to monitor a known malignancy undergoing treatment.

In brief: Sonogram

Dr. Myron Arlen
Dr. Myron Arlen
Dr. Adam Levy