I have an endometriosis cyst on both or sometimes only on one side of my ovaries, do I need to go for a check up for my ca-125 every single year?

Dr. Michael Traub
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Complicated
Ca-125 can be useful to follow endometriosis, especially to see how one therapy versus another is working.
There is no strict rule as to how often to check it. Generally that is individualized for each patient.

In brief: Complicated
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Kenan Omurtag
In brief: no this is actually
Misleading. A ca-125 is best for monitoring women who have had ovarian cancer for recurrence.
A ca-125 can also be elevated in patients with severe endometriosis, and many other abdominal-pelvic abnormalities. In terms of using it to screen you for ovarian cancer this can lead to increased intervention. Very importnat that you speak to you obgyn about the evidence supporting this annual test.

In brief: no this is actually
Dr. Kenan Omurtag
Dr. Kenan Omurtag
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery