I had my second pap results yesterday. I have an abnormal cell growth but HPV is negative. How is this possible?

Dr. David Finke

In brief: It is possible.

Usually, these pap results are termed ascus (atypical cells of undetermined significance) hpv negative.
While the hpv test is highly accurate, there are rare false negative results--i doubt this would happen twice. The pap test will test for any changes to the cells of the cervix, including those caused by hpv. There is usually no additional treatment necessary and yearly pap would be appropria.

In brief: It is possible.

Dr. David Finke
Dr. David Finke
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: Varies

Hpv does cause about 99% of abnormal paps.
Smoking can also result in abnormal pap results. The hpv can cause changes in the cervix and the body can clear the hpv - but the changes in the cells of the cervix may not return to normal even with the virus gone.

In brief: Varies

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Adam Levy