I had my first abnormal pap smear. Why are the doctors telling me to return in a year?

Dr. Amy Deeken
Pathology
In brief: Depends...
Most doctors order pap smear and hpv test at the same time.
Hpv is the virus that we now know causes cervical cancer. Depending on the results of the pap smear and hpv test combined, the doctor formulates how they want patients to follow up. Abnormal pap smear with the diagnosis of ascus and hpv negative has a about a 1% risk of progressing to a high grade dysplasia or cancer within one year.

In brief: Depends...
Dr. Amy Deeken
Dr. Amy Deeken
Dr. Ruth Crystal
In brief: Depends on HPV test
If you had a pap smear with atypical cells, generally the pathology lab will then check for the hpv virus.
If your pap is positive for high risk types of hpv, you will need a colposcopy test. However, if the pathology lab finds that your pap did not have the hpv virus, then your pap is essentially normal and you would need a pap smear in 1 year.

In brief: Depends on HPV test
Dr. Ruth Crystal
Dr. Ruth Crystal
Dr. Adam Levy