I am scared of having a pelvic exam because I was sexually abused as a child. How can I handle it?

Brian Fishman
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Tell Your Doctor!

Your ob/gyn physician will have experience treating patients with a history of childhood sexual abuse, and he or she can help you through it by discussing the details of the procedure beforehand and doing whatever you need to feel comfortable, including having people you trust with you for the exam. Inform your doctor well in advance of the exam and you can create a plan for the office visit.

In brief: Tell Your Doctor!

Brian Fishman
Brian Fishman
Answer assisted by Brian Fishman, Medical Student
Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Talk with doctor

This is not uncommon, and there are many skilled, compassionate family physicians & obgyn's who can help you.
You can talk with your doctor about what has happened, and s/he should be patient and gentle with you. If don't yet have a doctor but are working with a therapist on these issues, you might ask about referrals to doctors who frequently care for patients with this kind of history.

In brief: Talk with doctor

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Jonathan Jassey