I am 16 and sexually active. Do I need a pap smear to get a prescription for birth control?

Brian Fishman
Emergency Medicine
In brief: No
Pap smears are indicated 3 years after beginning sexual activity or at age 21 (whichever comes first).
You do not need one for a physician to prescribe birth control, nor do you need parental consent. However, it is recommended that you are honest with your parents about your sexual activity. Be sure to always use condoms. Birth control pills do not prevent sexually transmitted infections.

In brief: No
Brian Fishman
Brian Fishman
Answer assisted by Brian Fishman, Medical Student
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
In brief: No
You should be able to get contraception without a pap smear.
Current recommendations for pap smear screening is to begin at the age of 21.

In brief: No
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Martin Raff
Would also strongly suggest you get the HPV vaccine which should markedly lower the incidence of uterine cancer for you.
Dr. Jane Van Dis