Is Xanax (alprazolam) or ativan safer for long term use? & would either of these have the possibility to cause any cardiac effects like cardiac arrest? I

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Xanax/Ativan

Not recommended for long-term use.
If u r already prescribed one or the other, keeping the dose therapeutic & as prescribed, should not harm your cardiovascular system. I would recommend talking to your prescribing doc. About alternate medications for anxiety if u will be using long-term.

In brief: Xanax/Ativan

Not recommended for long-term use.
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: They're similar

Both Ativan and xanax (alprazolam) are short acting, although there is available an extended release xanax (alprazolam).
For the most part, benzodiazapines should be used only on a short term basis due to the potential for tolerance and dependency. It can be very difficult to discontinue a benzodiazapine in a patient who has received it long term. For me, it is therefore much easier to not begin one in the first place.

In brief: They're similar

Dr. Rada Ivanov
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: See below

Any of these can cause cardiac arrest if overused.
Xanax (alprazolam) is shorter-acting, Ativan is a little longer-acting so it can build up more in your system. While none of these are safe for long-term use, i would say that xanax (alprazolam) is the safer of the two.

In brief: See below

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology