6 weeks post-surgery rotator cuff. Discontinued sling. Hand swollen, pain (sometimes severe) in thumb pad & "click" when thumb moves. Problem?

Dr. Brian Badman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Trigger thumb

You may have a trigger thumb that was exacerbated with the surgery.
Hand swelling can be normal and typically resolves. I would have your treating surgeon take a look and possibly inject if the the thumb is actually locking on you.

In brief: Trigger thumb

Dr. Brian Badman
Dr. Brian Badman
Dr. Allen Lu
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Trigger finger

After a rotator cuff repair, it is not uncommon to have swelling.
This swelling can stay around the entire arm and hand. Swelling can also cause irritation and swelling in the finger (and thumb) tendons. When the tendons don't fit through the tendon sheaths, they cause triggering, or locking of the fingers and thumb.

In brief: Trigger finger

Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine