Do you have a rectal exam during a pelvic exam?

With rare exceptions, i recommend a rectal exam with the pelvic exam.
It allows the doctor to feel behind the uterus making it easier to detect ovarian cysts or nodularity of endometriosis, in women over 40, it provides an exam of the rectum which can show occult polyps or even cancers. I feel the rectal exam adds to the completeness of the pelvic exam allowing a true clean bill of health.

Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. John Geisler
Gynecology - Oncology
In brief: Rectovaginal exam
If you are over 35 or if your gynecologist feels an abnormality, you should have a rectovaginal exam and not just a bimanual exam.

In brief: Rectovaginal exam
Dr. John Geisler
Dr. John Geisler
Dr. Adam Levy