Can I get a hysterectomy because there is a high risk of ovarian cancer in my family?

Dr. Patrick Weix
In brief: Sometimes
Usually this is only considered if the patient has a known genetic predisposition, such as hereditary breast and ovarian cancer syndrome (associated with brca1 and brca2).
Talk to your doctor to see if your family history meets the criteria for testing for an inherited cancer syndrome. Note that these syndromes only make up a small fraction of the cancer diagnosed here.

In brief: Sometimes
Dr. Patrick Weix
Dr. Patrick Weix
I trust that you considering removal of both uterus and ovaries. Even if you elect to undergo surgery, it is important to know the genetic change so that you know as to what organs may be at risk.
Dr. Ricardo Estape
Gynecology - Oncology
You need to have a genetic screening done by your doctor or a genetic counsellor to decide how high your risk is and if you would benefit from a risk reducing hysterectomy and removal of the tubes and ovaries.
This should be done as soon as possible.

Dr. Ricardo Estape
Dr. Ricardo Estape
Dr. Jane Van Dis