I sprained my ankle a couple of weeks ago. There is now swelling in my calf and it is painful. Should i be worried about dvt?

Dr. Greg Khounganian
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

The first thing you should have is a ultrasound of your leg to evaluate for a deep venous thrombosis (dvt).
This is a painless and quick test, but very important. Let your primary care doctor know.

In brief: Better to be safe

Get it checked out immediately.

In brief: Better to be safe

Get it checked out immediately.

In brief: See note

Absolutely.
Risk factors include abstinence from walking or exercising, smoking, birth control, obesity, and prior family history. Ask your doctor to order a venous ultrasound that can rule out a dvt.

In brief: See note

Absolutely.
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology