Are varicose veins a sign of ovarian cancer?

Dr. Oliver Aalami
Surgery - Vascular
In brief: No
Absolutely not. Varicose vein are not a sign of ovarian cancer.
Unfortunately, ovarian cancer it typically diagnosed late after it has spread. When the lymph nodes in the pelvis are involved, this can cause leg swelling. Leg swelling from other causes, however, is much more common.

In brief: No
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. Oliver Aalami
Dr. James White
Cosmetic Surgery
In brief: Pelvic Varicose Vein
Varicose veins of the upper thighs, rectum and vaginal area can be related to venous reflux in the veins of the pelvis.
This is not necessarily an indication of ovarian cancer but rather related to pelvic venous congestion. It is possible that an enlarged advanced ovarian malignancy could cause venous congestion due to mechanical obstruction. This more likely noted in benign conditions.

In brief: Pelvic Varicose Vein
Dr. James White
Dr. James White
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology
In brief: Very unlikely
It is possible to conjure up a picture of a situation where there is a huge ovarian mass with cancer that could obstruct flow that could eventually lead to varicose veins.
A mass that big would very likely cause significant other problems first. I agree with dr. Aalami, it would be a real stretch to come up with a yes answer to the question.

In brief: Very unlikely
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology
In brief: V V and cancer.
There is no relationship between ovarian cancer and varicose veins in the legs.
Ovarian cancer can lead to tumor around the ovaries pressing on the veins in the pelvis which could lead to swelling of the pelvic, buttock and vaginal veins. Varicose veins, however, are not a sign of cancer.

In brief: V V and cancer.
Dr. John Landi
Dr. John Landi
Dr. Douglas Joyce
Phlebology
In brief: Rare but possible
I have had 2 patients over the last ten years who had swelling and varicose veins on both legs which developed over. Short period of time.
Ct scan showed a large ovarian tumor compressing the venous drainage in the pelvis.

In brief: Rare but possible
Dr. Douglas Joyce
Dr. Douglas Joyce
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery